Monday, April 12, 2010

The Red Sea

I am in Jeddah so what can you do? Not very much at all! So a stroll down to the Red Sea should do it. In this instance the Red Sea happens to be the largest shopping centre in Jeddah. Nothing here is straight forward or as it seems!


As I walk up to the shopping centre I notice groups of men sitting around the water features and landscaped areas outside. When I get to the entrance I see burly security guards and walk into Narnia.
TCN (Third Country Nationals) and young local Saudi men are not allowed in at night because "women" go out in the evening!!!!
As I look around at every imaginable shop - Jewelry, Clothes, Designer labels, Electric etc including lingerie. I can not help question the morality of covering up (Abiya & Veil), keeping people apart (Married - Single)- then having short dresses, skirts, plunging necklines, very nice lingerie all on clear display!!!!!!
Then the call to prayer......fifteen minutes later all the shops are closed. I expected to see all the faithful rush off - however indifference to religion seems to be worldwide!

No comments:

Post a Comment